Saturday, August 17, 2013

Week One Beginning Entry

"What do you hope to learn from this course and how will that help you grow in your leadership skills?"

Becoming a leader in the teaching profession has always been a dream of mine. I have seen the ups and downs that occur within education, and I know that I can bring ideas to my local school system to help student thrive. With this course I hope to gain new ideas and strategies that I can use to sharpen my skills as a teacher leader. I also hope that I can develop my own philosophy for a teacher leader. I know that leaders are key to success in every career, but without prior training a person cannot demonstrate the skills properly. I also hope this course will provide me with theories that I can implement within  my own classroom.

The skills that I gain from this course will help build a strong foundation for success within the classroom and my journey of becoming a principal one day. I know that teacher leadership courses are very different from the information and training we receive during our teacher education program. However, I believe that teachers who want their student to succeed should go beyond the basic teacher preparation program. We should want to be leaders and know best practices for becoming successful leaders. I know that I will not gain all of the knowledge I need for this during this class, but if I build my first stepping stone worth of knowledge then I have achieved my goal.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's important for present and future teacher leaders to discuss, as you have here, the idea that American education is in a state of flux. And the "ups and downs" require input from all stakeholders, especially teachers. Unfortunately, I think our teacher voices are being drowned out in the overall discussion. So, yes, if we want our schools and school districts to thrive, we need to speak up, instead of letting people who've never stepped inside a classroom dominate the conversation.

    I also appreciate that you want to go beyond the basics of your initial training. We should all strive to improve our skills and help each other get there. I think you have the right attitude for becoming the leader you aspire to be.

    ReplyDelete