Friday, August 23, 2013

Week Two: Strength-Based Leadership


Strength-based leadership is an umbrella term for a group of people demonstrating different leadership qualities and strengths necessary to meet one common goal. In this situation the strengths are applied to achieve the goal of meeting the needs of the school and community. The goal of a strength-based teacher leadership group would be to accommodate the needs of a community through providing a well-rounded education for each child while providing support for families and other within the community. As I have always heard, “There is NO I in Team” and if a school wants to promote student learning and achievement then each person within the school plays an important role.

            Most schools contain a SIT committee, or a School Improvement Team. This team is a strength-based leadership group of diversified roles within the school. During the team meetings, this group of leaders create strategies to help improve the appearance, mission, student needs, and other areas that will help the students perform at their best. As always, new and seasoned teachers should strive to be a strength-based leader so he or she can improve the quality of education and environment for his or her students.

2 comments:

  1. I liked how you described strength-based leadership as an umbrella- I don't think I could have described it any better. It's also true that there is no "I" in team and to truly have a strength-based leadership run school then other minds need to be incorporated into those common goals.
    To be honest I don't think my school really has a SIT but they should. The details you enclosed for SIT sounds much like what administration and staff does as a whole. I think it would be beneficial if they created a more defined SIT for the school to ease the responsibility from the entire staff. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mention of "seasoned" teachers caught my eye. Everyone is important in the process of school improvement; but, in my experience, much of that work is thrust onto the "fresher blood" or taken by mid-career teachers. I see a lot of veteran teachers shrug their shoulders and pass along the burden. I try not to judge (maybe I'll feel the same way in 20 years!), and I'm trying to discover a way to elicit the participation and knowledge of our older teachers. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete