Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Week 5: Distributive leadership

Question: Identify whether distributive leadership is used for capacity building at your school site. Explain how it is being used. If it is not, describe how it could benefit your school site to apply this concept.

 Distributive leadership is certainly not used efficiently within my building. The administrators prefer to hold tight to leadership responsibilities and run the school as though they are dictators. The administrators fail to realize the dictatorial style of leadership hinders the effectiveness of the staff. Often an efficient administrator will appoint certain teacher leaders to help carry out leadership responsibilities to increase the amount of satisfaction and functionality within the building.

My school site could certainly benefit from this concept because others could place their views and styles into the needs of the school. Also dividing responsibilities among other teacher leaders can provide insight into needs of the teachers. Sometimes when the responsibilities have been divided among several leaders more can be accomplished because there are more people to observe and suggest changes. Some specific changes could certainly be a grade level planning duties, grade level assistance meetings, and peer observations. Most often the observations are completed by the administrators. Although I understand they must perform two observations, it would be a nice change to have someone on the same level as I am to provide me with constructive feedback before I go face to face with my administrators.

1 comment:

  1. Whitney, again I am sad to say that my school is exactly like yours in this aspect. As I have been saying, the power dynamics of our schools directly reflect in the fact that they lack distributive leadership. So many amazing teachers at my school are hindered by the simple fact that their voices are stifled. The administration alone is responsible for all leadership repsonsibilites, so any chance at effective change is pretty much non-existent since the same people make the same choices year after year.

    ReplyDelete